The launch meeting took place in January in San Sebastián, Spain, for the Erasmus+ project “Growing the Market in Accessible Tourism” (GROWMAT). T2 Consulting will contribute skills in e-learning design, and also quality management, to work collaboratively with project partners in vocational education and stakeholder representation from Belgium, Finland, Greece, Slovenia, Spain, and the UK.
Accessible tourism is about making it easy for all people to enjoy tourism experiences. Many people have access needs, not just those with disabilities: the elderly, the less mobile, even young families with pushchairs. They represent a huge potential market for tourism which today is still under-served.
GROWMAT will bring together teachers, subject matter experts and target groups to develop guidance and support for businesses, students and entrepreneurs who may wish to embrace this growing demand. Plans include
- A self-contained blended learning course (workshops and e-learning), for businesses, entrepreneurs and students. This will run first as a pilot in 2018 but is intended to be made available thereafter to colleges and educators free of charge.
- A standalone accessibility awareness module (freely available).
- An accessible tourism training module that can be added to existing relevant courses and vocational training (freely available).
- A template business plan.
- An online resource of "what works" - tried and tested accessibility solutions and quick wins.
- An online network/discussion forum for people in the field to discuss and exchange ideas.
- An App for searching/rating accessible tourist facilities.
- Draft design of an awareness sticker/certificate, eg "FairAccess" for those undertaking the training.
The project is looking for champions involved in accessibility, tourism, education or business support, who are interested in working with the project and/or are willing to help raise awareness to reach as wide an audience as possible, benefitting service users and service providers alike. If you can help, would like to receive project progress updates, or simply want to know more about it and how you might benefit, please contact us.
The partners are: CDEA – Spain, Errotu - Spain, Haaga-Helia UAS –Finland, P-Consulting – Greece, Bridgwater and Taunton College - UK, AgeUK BANES – UK, SSGT MB – Slovenia, T2 Consulting -UK, EfVET – Belgium.